SDG #9: Sustainable industrialization. Embracing the innovations and clean tech solutions being developed today in transportation, energy and beyond is essential for the maintenance of Earth’s life support system. Deploying capital for sustainable economic development projects and system retrofits around the globe is key to implementation, adviser Erika Karp and climate investor/philanthropist Ibrahim AlHusseini agree. Catherine Von Burg tells Liz and Steve about the challenges of operating a business executing on the triple bottom line: people, planet and profit.
In this episode you’ll hear about:
- Why Ibrahim AlHusseini believes all the sustainable development goals collapse if nations fail to get SDG #9 right.
- How Erika Karp describes capitalism as beautiful and poetic – while stating that it needs to move away from being extractive and exclusive.
- How Simpliphi Power innovated energy storage to eliminate the intermittency of renewable energies and did so without putting labor at risk.
- Whether environmentally sound tech can upgrade and retrofit infrastructure to be sustainable by 2030.
- How FullCycle prioritizes its investments in growth stage companies with climate-critical infrastructure tech.
Related story: Climate change fight is adding to global inflation scare
United Nations SDG#9 Information
Erika Karp is Chief Impact Officer of Pathstone, a financial advice firm for families and institutions. In 2021, Pathstone acquired the socially responsible investing advice firm that Karp started in 2013 called Cornerstone Capital. She’s also a board member of a non-profit group Conscious Capitalism.
Catherine Von Burg is CEO and president of Simpliphi Power, which design and manufactures efficient non-toxic energy storage and management systems that integrate renewable energy on and off the grid. It’s also part of the Unreasonable Impact Group, a United Nations program of companies that have committed to fulfilling the 17 SDGs.
Ibrahim AlHusseini is founder and managing partner of FullCycle, which invests in growth stage companies that have developed climate-critical infrastructure technology. A sustainability-focused entrepreneur and philanthropist, he has 25 years of experience using clean technology and natural resource-related investments to advance social change.